Monday, November 1, 2010

Camera shopping

In case you're wondering why there are no photos posted as yet - it's because I'm still searching for a camera (my apologies)! Currently I own a cute little Nikon CoolPix S230 which only cost slighter under $200 when it was purchased, I think it makes a good compact digital camera however I've decided that it's time for me to move on to getting a DSLR - how exciting!

At the moment I'm trying to decide between either a Canon 7D or Nikon D7000 - both are similarly priced mid-range cameras from their respective manufacturers. The Nikon D7000 is available for purchase early November this year and costs around $2000AUD (body only), whilst the Canon 7D was released in 2009 and retailed for $2499 (body only) but has since come down in price and currently costs about the same as the D7000.



Canon 7D

Nikon D7000



There are a handful of differences between the two cameras which I really can't be bothered mentioning. Some have claimed that the Nikon D7000 is just as good as the Canon 7D at a few hundred dollars cheaper. One thing to take note of is the bodies (see picture below)- the Nikon D7000 does have an magnesium alloy body but only partially, whereas the Canon 7D boasts a full metal body all the way up to the lens mount.

Both camera bodies claim magnesium alloy body construction.  Notice that the Canon's lens mount is bolstered by the magnesium alloy body. Left: Nikon D7000 Right: Canon 7D
I know I can get these cameras cheaper online, but not sure if I'm willing to take the risk with expensive items such as these...grr, another decision to make! =)

27AW8K6QHBR5

No comments:

Post a Comment